Burn survivor Sean Smith doing well

15871691_1021047295_58216

 

Pretoria burn survivor Sean Smith (17) is doing much better now, says his mother Mé-Lissa.

She told Rekord on Tuesday that Sean was sent home for the holidays so he could spend Christmas with his family.

“Everyone was so happy to have him here.”

ALSO READ: UPDATE: Hospital supports burn victim

“He turned 17 on 24 December and was overjoyed that he could be around loved ones.”

Doctors had since decided that Sean could recuperate at home.

Mé-Lissa said Sean suffered from depression because he still needed to go to hospital for check-ups and minor procedures.

She said he walked leaning forward, which put a lot of strain on his body.

“Hopefully they can perform a procedure so his body movement can improve.”

ALSO READ: UPDATE: Burn victim finally at Milpark

“He has his ups and downs where he feels he is a burden to me. He wants to help me with everything, but I just want him to relax and I’m happy to have him home.”

Mé-Lissa said Sean still suffered pain every time his wound dressings were changed.

“He is still very withdrawn from society because of his injuries, but I have been working hard to keep him afloat.”

Mé-Lissa said being a single mother was very tiring.

“I do not get much sleep at night.”

She said there was still a long road of recovery ahead, but they had to start thinking about moving forward.

“We have to start thinking about his future, including school and college. Things need to start to normalise now.”

Mé-Lissa said other than Sean’s mood, he was still the kind-hearted child she raised.

ALSO READ: Sean Smith articles

“He knew what I wanted as a Christmas gift and he spent the money he got from his uncle to get me a present.”

Mé-Lissa said she was grateful to everyone who made it possible for Sean to receive the best medical care.

“He still has a long way to go with operations ahead, but we wouldn’t have gotten this far with everyone’s help. We appreciate it.”

Sean is due for a consultation today (Wednesday, 11 January), to see if it is necessary for an operation under his arms where he had a skin grafting surgery.

Sean suffered second- and third-degree burn wounds on 17 October 2016 when his petrol-stained shirt caught fire.

This happened after he came to the assistance of a woman whose car broke down in Eldoraigne.

Sean cleaned his hands with petrol afterwards and wiped them dry on his shirt.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to editorial@rekord.co.za or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram.

 

find your
dream home

looking for an
affordable
apartment

List your Property

It's easy in only three
simple steps...

find professional
services in
your area

Locate a business
operating in
your area

List your Business

Want more customers? They're online right now, searching for businesses like yours. Place your ad now...

Latest News

COMMENTS

ptacenturion ptaeast ptanorthgetitlooklocal.co.zaAutodealer.co.za
Top
Next Story
There are low-carb alternatives for dessert. Image: Pexels
Tips to guilt-free holidaying