UPDATE: Three years on, mom still awaiting answers over murdered daughter

Marlien du Plessis with her two daughters. Photo: Supplied

It’s almost three years later, and a family from the west of Pretoria is still awaiting justice in the rape and murder of a young mother of two.

Marlien du Plessis’ (20) body was found at a field in Danville on 16 April 2015.

According to an anonymous phone call made to her mother, Du Plessis was given an overdose of drugs by her killers, after which they raped her.

“They apparently wrapped her in a cloth and hit her with a rock,” said Du Plessis’ mother, Denise Erasmus.

Pretoria West police previously said the two suspects arrested for her murder have been out on bail since August 2016.

ALSO READ: Herdenkingsdiens vir jong vrou gehou

“There is no date for a court appearance because the case is still being investigated,” the police previously told Rekord.

The police could not be reached for further developments in the case.

“I wish I could find answers,” Erasmus told Rekord this week.

With the three-year mark of Du Plessis’ murder fast approaching, Erasmus shared a few memories of her daughter.

“As Marlien grew older I could see she had a rebellious side. I remember how she would pack only a pair of jeans and climb out the window to run away to her aunt, three blocks away,” she said.

“When she did that, I could not help but smile. She was strong-willed and had a mind of her own.

“But I want answers. How can I go on with my life knowing that her murderers are still out there?”

Erasmus said Du Plessis’s death had taken a great toll on her life. Memories of her daughter just brought pain, love and heartache.

“I was never prepared for her death… she was still so young. I will never forget the last time I saw her. She told me that she will see me on Sunday, but I never saw her alive again.

“Sometimes I just laugh, but most of all I wish I could hold her one last time,” she said.

ALSO READ: Vrou se lyk in bosse gevind

Erasmus said she spoke to the detective in charge of the investigation into Du Plessis’ murder in January this year.

“He told me I should phone to request updates. When I called, I was told that I could not make such a request,” she said.

“Apparently, the person working on the case must request such information and then give me a copy, but I’ve received nothing.”

The police could not be reached for further developments about the case at the time of publication.

Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.

For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites:

Rekord East

Rekord North

Rekord Centurion

Rekord Moot

For more news and interesting articles, like Rekord on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Instagram

Kayla van Petegem

Latest News


Recommended Story x
OPVOLG: Nog geen nuus oor weste onopgeloste moord

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.

SELECT your titles:

Centurion Rekord
Rekord East
Rekord Moot
Rekord North

Your details:

Your friends: