Neighbours all jumped in to make short work of repairing a Moot woman’s apartment after it was badly damaged in a fire last week.
Most repair work was already done when Rekord visited Selma Bandi’s apartment in Eersterust, earlier this week.
Almost the entire apartment had been restored and painted out.
Workers, all of them Eersterust residents, were busy restoring one of the back rooms of the apartment during Rekord’s visit.
“It is just wonderful to see how the community came together to help someone in need,” said Jorene Moses, a relative of Bandi who lives two apartments below her.
Moses has been helping out with the restoration of the apartment in Bandi’s absence.
Bandi was away for work in Hammanskraal at the time, while her children were staying with family.
“We are just waiting on the Tshwane metro to help us to reconnect the wiring,” Moses said.
A fire broke out at Bandi’s apartment on the corner of Hans Coverdale Road and Soutrivier Avenue last Monday around 14:30.
Bandi said the apartment on top of hers was not burnt in the fire, but did get some smoke damage.
She said Bandi has received a lot of donations since the fire last week.
“We have received a lot of food and clothes,” she said.
“Residents have also donated other household items, such as curtains and bedding.”
Moses said they were still searching for someone who could help with donating tiles and also someone who could help them lay the tiles.
“We have received all the other necessary items as donations,” she said.
Bandi said it was still not clear what exactly caused the fire, but forensic teams were on the scene last Monday.
She said any donations were welcome.
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: