More than 10 people, including teenagers in the west of Pretoria, have received medical attention for smoking a drug known as “herbal blend”.
“I can confirm that we have transported more than 11 patients to hospital between Sunday and today [Tuesday],” said Best Care ambulance service spokesperson Xander Loubser.
Loubser said all the patients exhibited symptoms including nausea, vomiting, decreased consciousness, hyperactivity, seizures and diarrhoea.
“The youngest patient was 14, but some adults have also been transported to hospital,” he said.
The drug is popularly known as “herbal blend”, “blazing” or “puff” and is similar to marijuana.
“It is available at tuckshops and adult shops along with liquor,” he added.
Videos showing the side-effects users suffered have been circulating on social media.
In one of the videos, one of the two boys was seen choking on his own vomit while the other tried to assist him but also ended up vomiting.
The second clip depicted a boy lying on the grass and being assisted by paramedics while apparently suffering from a seizure.
Loubser confirmed the affected people were treated but did not require hospital admission and no deaths were reported.
Police spokeswoman Captain Augustinah Selepe confirmed 14 young adults were taken to hospital for smoking the drug.
Do you have more information about the story? Please send us an email to [email protected] or phone us on 083 625 4114.
For free breaking and community news, visit Rekord’s websites: